Monday, March 19, 2018

a new pair

One of Lisa's contacts had a few bottle calves that they didn't have time to take care of, so we got two of them. The one on the left is a steer calf for future beef. The one on the right is a freemartin female, most likely for resale down the road. They will join Rocky and the others in the pasture a bit later, after they are weaned. They are both less than a week old.

Friday, March 16, 2018

Maple stumps removed

 I started the removal of the two maple stumps in the front yard this morning. The one closest to the driveway came out the easiest, which was unexpected.
 This one took a lot more work, even though it was the smaller stump.
 Maybe it was because it was also shorter, giving me less leverage to pull on it.
 With a hand winch and a truck for an anchor, it didn't really have a chance. I got it pulled out.
I raked the loose dirt back into the holes from both of the stumps. I want to let the root ball dry a little and see if I can get more of the dirt to come off before I haul them to the burn pile.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

New bearings for the truck

 Yesterday while I was out with the truck, I heard a scraping sound coming from under the front of the truck. It sounded like a branch got caught up, but there was nothing under it when I looked. So, this morning, I pulled the rotors and bearings off to look there. I found a piece of metal inside the dust cap on the passenger side. The bearings were worn, too.
 So I went to the auto parts store and got 2 new sets, one for each front wheel. Here, the new inner bearing is installed along with the seal.
And the race is put in for the outer bearing, ready for the rest to be packed and put in. I found a bad lower ball joint while I was doing it, so it will have to go into the shop for that. I don't have the tools I would need to replace that.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Back to an older plan

 We have been drier for the last several days. This allowed the pasture to dry out some, enough to be able to use the 4 wheeler to put the hay out. Much quicker and easier that way!
We started this morning with a dusting of snow that made it a bit slicker than yesterday, but still not anywhere near as bad as it was last time.

Monday, February 26, 2018

New plan

 After getting the 4 wheeler buried last time we put hay out, we needed a new plan. Getting our neighbor to put it out with his large 4 wheel drive tractor is what we came up with.
Left some monster size ruts, but the hay got put out without any other issues. With the weather not helping, I'm glad this worked. This February is very close to the wettest on record. We are over 10" already this month.

Friday, February 9, 2018

Plan A results

 Plan A is a success, but with limitations. The last attempt ended up with the mower buried in the mud out in the middle of the pasture. We got it dug out and learned a lesson. The lesson was " do not attempt when pasture is a muddy mess". Jess and I got started early this morning because it was below freezing last night, but it is supposed to warm up nicely by afternoon and that temperature swing will make a lot of mud.
The tractor doesn't have much trouble when the ground is firmer. I drove it out, separated the trailer and dumped the roll, re-hooked the trailer and dropped the ring around it. Done.

Friday, January 26, 2018

Mid - winter cleaning

 Today was fairly mild, so I cleaned the truck up. It had a lot of dirt and salt film on it from the last couple of storms. I had to bring the water out a gallon at a time from the kitchen sink, so it took longer than normal to get it washed off.
I also used some more of my jello wax. This can wasn't as bad as the last one was, though. It went on and wiped off a lot easier.