Thursday, June 27, 2013

New water pump for the boat

 The parts I ordered came in this morning and I picked them up in Nicholasville. Not a very big box for $40, but it was what I needed.
 Getting ready to start the job. The tools were out and a work table set up.
 The bottom end pulled off. It wasn't really hard to do, just a few bolts and pry it apart without breaking anything. The driveshaft just slides out with it.
 My view of the water pump housing, with a few more bolts to take out.
 I got it apart without breaking anything. The impeller and gasket are out. Re-assembly was a little more challenging. An extra set of hands would have helped, but I still got it done.
Re-assembled and installed. The most unfortunate thing is that it didn't fix the problem. I'll have to have a professional look at it and see what else is wrong. At least I know how to change the water pump in my outboard now. Yamaha says you should do it every other year as routine maintenance. I've had this motor 15 years and this is the first time it's been changed.
Update on the motor: I tried one more trick I knew, and it fixed it! The water pump is working now!

No comments:

Post a Comment