Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Camper upgrades/repairs

 

I started the repairs on the wheel bearings yesterday. Allen and I had just gotten a pair of replacements at Tractor Supply in Maine. We simply swapped out the blown one and we continued on. I installed the other one yesterday, but neglected to put in a brake spring. So this morning, I re-did both of the hubs. I had also discovered some missing parts from the initial replacement and found and replaced them this morning.  
The left side went a lot smoother, mostly because I knew what parts were supposed to be where. The third hub is finished here.
I know it's kind of messy for a workspace, but it's in the driveway and I was moving all the tools and supplies over to the left side.
The last hub to be rebuilt. All of them got new inner and outer wheel bearings, a new grease seal, and a fresh grease packing.
All 4 wheels are ready to roll. We have a couple of weddings to attend this month, one in Ohio and one in South Carolina. The steps were also damaged when the wheel came off. I'll start the repairs on them tomorrow.
I'll keep the hub that is in the box. It wasn't damaged. That way I'll have a back-up, just in case I need it. Getting them already assembled is convenient, but quite expensive. 
This is our campsite in Ohio when we started the trip. I missed getting it put up on the last post. This campground was a lot more rowdy than any we have been to so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment